Rare to get such a granular insight into the high volume physical bullion industry.
This past Friday at 6PM eastern, management heads at SD Bullion sat down with the Salivate Metals youtube channel community to answer questions about the SD Bullion company, how it all started, and a behind the scenes look inside the precious metals industry.
Below is the interview in full, recorded on January 18, 2019.
You can find additional notes, further informational backlinks, and important question timestamps below the video player as well.
SD Bullion CEO and James Anderson Interview Notes Below
This past Friday, January 19, 2018 both Tyler Wall (President & CEO of SD Bullion) and James Anderson (manager of content on SD Bullion) were interviewed by the Salivate Metals Youtube channel.
Major topics covered included:
- SD Bullion founding and SD Bullion company background (@2:22)
- Biggest growing pains for SD Bullion since 2012? (@7:28)
- How did you get interested in physical precious metals and bullion? (@11:25)
- Back ground on the recent SD Bullion shipping policy change from flat $7.77 USD to orders of over $99 with Free Shipping (@14:35)
- New SD Bullion eCheck payment option now available for established customers (@16:30)
- Where do you see SD Bullion going in the decade to come? (@19:45)
- Are there any favorite bullion products you have yourself? (@20:49)
- Is Gold or Silver the better buy right now in your opinion? (@30:15)
- Who was the brunette in the now retired SD Bullion youtube adverts? (@31:50)
- What are the International Shipping options with SD Bullion? (@33:40)
- Can we pay in cash? (@37:50) See our industry's bullion anti-money laundering policy information here.
- What keeps your business model profitable, do you have any investors or long term debt? (@39:03)
- Do you charge states sales taxes on bullion orders? (@40:40) Our website update is coming soon, further background on this bullion state tax matter here.
- Do you have a smart phone Application for SD Bullion? (@43:20)
- Will they bring back the 10 oz silver bullion at spot deal? (@44:08)
- Does bullion dealer price hedging suppress their spot prices? (@44:39)
- Do you plan on carrying hand poured bullion? (@47:20) By the way, we do have some poured BPM 1 kilo silver bullio bars in stock, see them here. Additional background on the Republic Metals bankruptcy is here.
- Does SD Bullion ship to Canada? (@49:34)
- How many ounces of silver would I need to purchase and average home (post collapse, whatever that might mean)? (@50:45) Additional long term house vs silver charts here.
- Thoughts on the recent major gold mining company merger? (e.g. Newmont and Goldcorp) (@52:04) Our latest Metals & Markets podcast, we covered this gold mining industry related news at the 2:45 mark.
- Do you think that the bullion and precious metal peer to peer buying and selling is cutting into bullion dealer revenues? (@53:30) This question was asked by the same team (Stacking NYC) which made this Silver Stackers Trailer.
- What are the best bullion deals on your SD Bullion website right now? (@56:30) That changes often, you could just bookmark our deals page for that answer day to day, week to week, etc. at this URL - https://SDBullion.com/deals
- How do you source you Pre1964 90% Junk Silver Coins? (@56:47)
- Does the government require you to hand over customer information? (@1:01:02) Refer back to that AML link above for IRS 1099B information regarding when you sell to us, which products, in which volumes, etc. We set up our SD Bullion payment policies to make buying from us as private as possible.
- Why shipping to jurisdictions such as the Dominican Republic is a no go? (@1:02:20)
- Explain you policy on when we sell bullion back to you? (@1:03:14)
You can find our Sell Silver and Sell Gold bid prices live in that link. You can also learn further details about How to Sell Silver Bullion online here.
- Are you selling more Gold or Silver bullion of late? (@1:11:50)
- As a top bullion dealer, do you guys have any inside insight into precious metal prices in the years to come? (1:13:45) CPM Group’s Jeff Christian talking about new nominal record silver and gold prices by 2022 to 2024. Jeff’s work on prudent gold allocation back testing from 1968 through 2016 is also interesting and worth a look, you might be surprised how high the best risk reward percentage was looking backwards in this full fiat currency era.
- The misinformed conspiracy theory that bullion dealers have huge sales right before major precious metal spot price drops? (@1:15:14)
- Did you all at SD Bullion lose any fiat currency in the recent Republic Metals bankruptcy in late 2018? (@1:15:35)
- Effect of the loss of Republic Metals mint in the bullion industry regarding product premiums and supply? (@1:22:10)
- What are your thoughts on Palladium? (@1:25:20)
Latest Metals and Markets podcast we touched briefly on the platinum and palladium mining strike happening in South Africa as well as how small the warehouse inventories are for palladium on various commodity futures contract exchanges (at the 24:40 mark).
- How do precious metal refiners make any money, are they paying the miners less than spot price for their ore? (@1:28:50) You can learn more about how the precious metal industry works from original origin to end bullion products here.
- Does Silver Doctors have any criteria for articles posted? (@1:30:00) Ask Paul Half Dollar that question.
- What type of precious metal coin tester do you all recommend? (@1:31:40)
We have Sigma Metalytics scanners for sale here at SD Bullion. As well, here is a DIY noninvasive way to test bullion products at home cheaply.
- Do you all at SD Bullion donate any profits to charities? (@1:36:55) Yes 10% per year, no names, we prefer to keep that private.
- Why don’t bullion dealers take American Express? (1:45:05)
- What do you guys buy for yourselves? (@1:45:35)
Thanks to the Salivate Metals youtube channel community for having us on your show and taking part in this fun interview and discussion.